Thursday, November 22, 2012

Eleven Months of Thankfulness


Ahhhhhhh.  My favorite holiday has finally arrived!  But more than the day itself, I really love the Thanksgiving season.  That is, when I’m not in the malls and stores where they inappropriately start decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving.  Maybe I shouldn’t let it bother me so much, but it really does.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, but I think there is appropriate space for each holiday, and we should be respecting that.  I’m really serious about this.  I know I joke about it and people make fun of me, but it really does bother me deep down when it’s Thanksgiving season and people are singing Christmas carols.  It kind of makes me sick.  And it seems like it gets worse year after year.

Anyway, I’m not here to keep ranting about holiday space.  I’m here to bask in the awesomness of my favorite holiday.  I LOVE THANKSGIVING.  I LOVE BEING THANKFUL.  There is just something magical about giving thanks for all the things that we sometimes take for granted.  For reflecting on the year and seeing where God has totally blessed us and our loved ones.  I feel more complete, like life has come full circle when I reflect on the events of the year and can point out what I’m thankful for.  There is SO MUCH to be thankful for from 2012.  I’m going to list things off month by month for y’all, instead of the traditional “22 things I’m thankful for” list. 

JANUARY
I am thankful for….
1.  A job that offers me FULL BENEFITS.  And in turn, chiropractic care for the shoulder I separated last fall.  And being able to fix some of my godforsaken teeth.
2.  My roommates, Motomi and Theresa.  What a charmed time that was.
3.  Lots of time spent with close friends – Micaela, Alison, Corrine & Holly. 
4.  Good friends like Lihong & Raymund, who listen & try to keep me grounded when I’m falling down the spiral.

FEBRUARY
I am thankful for….
1.  Oregon’s birthday.  It’s the only thing that saves me from the torture of Valentine’s Day.
2.  Bryan, who listens and prays with me when I’m facing The Darkness.  And who lets me cry on his shoulder.
3.  Jeannie, from Bryan’s church, who took time to pray with me and help me out of The Darkness. 
4.  Bryan’s church family, who is simply an amazing group of people in general.
5.  American Idol Nights at Erica & Ashton’s.
6.  Finally meeting Baby Charlie.

MARCH
I am thankful for…..
1.  Mental health days.
2.  Amazing friends to celebrate my birthday with.  Seriously, best night ever.
3.  THE BEACH!  With my family.
4.  Watching Bryan at the casino for the first time.  What a hoot!
5.  Getting some closure on my uncertainness with the church I was attending.
6.  Reconnecting with Linz-dawg.

APRIL
I am thankful for….
1.  Imago Dei.
2.  BRYAN AND BECKY GETTING ENGAGED!
3.  Spending lots of time with my bestie, Lihong.
4.  Having a painless tooth extraction.  OHSU rocks.
5.  The end of Tax Season.

MAY
I am thankful for….
1.  Spending time with Lee.
2.  Spending lots of time with Bryan.
3.  Getting driving glasses….oh, that’s bittersweet.
4.  Finally getting to see the Horton’s in OHIO….what a blast!  Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Pennsylvania, Lake Erie, amazing historic homes…..plus tons of time with my favorite aunt & getting to know my cool cousins!

JUNE
I am thankful for….
1.  Fishing with the internationals.  Oh man, what a hoot!
2.  Meeting Grandma VH’s family in Idaho.  Putting together some pieces of the family.
3.  Discovering EastBurn and its $2 Pint Night. 
4.  Meeting Kimberlee’s boyfriend!!
5.  Celebrating Corrine’s graduation.  So amazing!  I’m so proud of her!!

JULY
I am thankful for….
1.  Getting to have Stella live in my house for about a month.
2.  FOURTH OF JULY.  Epic, as always.  Motomi went crazy with the fireworks!
3.  Spending time with Xiao Xuan. 
4.  Hiking half of Dog Mountain.

AUGUST
I am thankful for….
1.  BRYAN AND BECKY’S WEDDING!
2.  Davenport races.
3.  The pool at Linz-dawg’s apartment.  Getting to hang out with her, Dave & the kiddos.
4.  CAMPING with Senor Lopez-Erickson and his family.  And Vanessa and Elizabeth.  And Satoe.
5.  Bryan’s Epic 25th Birthday Extravaganza.  Which was only half-epic, cuz he hurt himself that day.

SEPTEMBER
I am thankful for….
1.  CAMPING with Bryan, Becky, Sayaka & Xiao Xuan.
2.  Spending lots of time with Lihong. 
3.  Salmon Bake at Hopewell.
4.  Reconnecting with my older cool cousins.
5.  Celebrating Sabrina & Carl’s nuptials, and getting to meet Sabrina’s closest friends.

OCTOBER
I am thankful for…
1.  Imago Dei.
2.  Skyping regularly with MIJIN!
3.  Mike & Tbone moving to Vancouver.
4.  Getting more hours from the synagogue.  Business is good.

NOVEMBER
I am thankful for….
1.  JOSEPH.  I’m really happy he came back into my life.  I like this guy.
2.  Kayonnie Sue.  She’s freakin’ adorable. 
3.  Laughing with Tbone & Mike.
4.  THANKSGIVING!!!
5.  Black Friday sales…..fancy cameras on sale!

What a year!  Full of surprises.  But it seems to be ending well, which makes me really, really, really happy.


I hope you all have a wonderful day today, celebrating with friends and family, or whatever you’re doin’ on this day of thanks.  Much love!

No comments: