Monday, June 02, 2008

"love and convenience were never cousins, or brothers or sisters or even friends," -Liana Bumstead

Who would've thought moving to Portland would've made me a huge blog slacker? I guess it's not really the fact that I moved....more the fact that I haven't felt like updating, things have seemed quite gloomy for me. Except now when I look at my planner (at least I'm managing to keep that up!) I see that I have in fact had a lot of fun in the three weeks I've been here. I guess I've just been so consumed with not having a steady client (I've only worked 36 hours so far, in the 2 weeks I've been with the new office, yikes!!!!) and in turn being low on money. Lately I haven't been able to see past that huge wall...and it feels like a wall, this lack of work. But today it seems I am making progress. Well, except for the little freak-out I had about two hours ago. Anyway, I have a feeling that God will provide soon. My supervisor already said she might have work for me Wednesday, assuming she hears back from the family soon. Lord willing, she will....and I will work and continue to pay my bills and now rent. Please pray that I'll get a steady client this week. For some reason I feel compelled to keep this job and not start a new one at Starbucks (I know....but it's been tempting...) or anywhere else, unless it's a library assistant job or something. I feel God still wants me to stick with Visiting Angels, so far.

Okay....enough about my sad work situation. So.....remember that weekend when it was super hot? When we all thought, "ah, finally, summer has come to save us from the longest winter ever"? Tasha (friend/roommate) and I didn't waste any time getting out....we went to a park on the Columbia River and soaked in the wonderful rays. A couple of her friends came out too and we went in the river....though it felt like winter so I never went all the way in. Tasha and her friend did though, those gutsy, gutsy girls! All in all it was fun.

Tasha and I went to see OBAMA on the 18th at Waterfront Park. I was pretty much just along for the ride. Tasha loves Obama. I think he's cool but it's too early for me to decide who I support. I do enjoy his speeches. Anyway, it was NUTS! 70,000 people! We attempted to get in line when the gates opened....but it was FIVE BLOCKS long and verrry hot out, so we decided to hang in the park. Then a few minutes before Obama came on stage, we decided to check on the line. Ten minutes later we were in. We were really far away but at least we could hear him and occasionally see him (when he stepped out beyond the giant tree in our way). It was pretty amazing. That's the first time I've seen a presidential candidate in real life.

Throughout the weeks, Carina, Tasha, and I played "Dutch Blitz", pretty much the best game ever. It's similar to "NERTS". Sooooo fuuuuun. And of course we've had some fun roommate bonding time.

Last Friday we went to see the fireworks on the Waterfront with Shannon (from church). It was amazing! I love fireworks! We went on the ferris wheel afterwards. Fuuuuun!

All in all, I do like it here. I think the reason I've been feeling SO gloomy lately is just because I don't have steady work yet, don't have a routine, and am pretty much in limbo. But it will get better, I believe.

Hope things are going well for all of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melanie, you're right to seek happiness and health over fair and prosperous. You have a good spirit, keep following you're path - be mindful of just moving forward. karen