Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Thirty: Baring a Sliver of My Soul


I have been 30 for approximately 2 months.  Usually it takes me 3-6 months to settle into a new age, sometimes I never feel the age I am.  26, 27 blended together like they were a continuation of each other.  28 was tumultuous, 29 was weird and amazing.  I did actually feel like I was on the edge of an age-cliff for most of 29.  Very odd feeling.  Anyway, thirty has hit me with such force I’m surprised I’m not still smashed up against the wall.  Literally, I was in ANOTHER car accident a few weeks ago.  Recovering from that, however minor my injuries this time, has been a fair struggle.  “They” were telling the truth when they said that it takes longer for your body to recover from injuries after you turn 30.  I always thought I had a grace period, like I wouldn’t notice much difference for a couple years or so.  Nope.  Two months, it took.  Well, one and a half to be honest, since that’s when the dumb girl rear-ended me with her aunt’s minivan and stole Padma’s life.  Now I’ve got Xena Ebony Rae, who I hope will be mine for at least 2-3 years. 

So yeah.  Thirtyyyyy.  I don’t actually hate you….but I don’t quite like you, either.  I guess, like most things that hit me quickly, I don’t quite trust you.  Hmmmm, trusting an age.  Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

Another change in the last 2-3 months, I’m not so anxious about finances anymore.  I still have mostly the same debt as before, but somehow my mind has convinced me that it’s not such a big deal anymore and CAN be conquered and eliminated.  It doesn’t seem as much like a black hole anymore.  Maybe it’s the tiny raise I achieved at the office.  Maybe it’s the tiny raise I fought for at the synagogue.  Maybe it’s the new freelance writing job that fell into my lap.  Maybe it’s a perspective finally working itself out.  In any case, I am thrilled about this fresh perspective.  It’s a GINORMOUS burden off my mind and shoulders.  I think also, that maybe, I prayed about this crazy debt for long enough that God showed me how to actually let it go.  He showed me that honestly, in the grand scheme of life, it is not that big of a deal.  That doesn’t mean that I get to go be reckless again and keep adding charges to my credit cards without paying anything back.  It just means that I get to receive the peace that He’s got my back and He’s helping me take care of it.  That is an extremely refreshing and renewing feeling. 

I think that the shock of turning 30 has been somewhat softened and diluted by the fact that so many of my really close friends are also turning 30.  We’re all in this together.  It’s nice to have friends that are my exact age.  Never thought I would actually say that, as I’ve always chased after friendships with those 5+ years older than me.  But turning 30, that is just something else.  It’s dramatic and shocking.  And most of my friends that are 5+ years older than me don’t want to try to deal with that kind of drama.  I get it.  It’s still a little naïve, and they are SO mature, ya know.  Really, it’s ok.  I know I’m “young” still.  Haha.

I am happy to say though, that according to Natasha, I am no longer a baby now that I am 30!  Don’t know what she’s going to do with me now, though.  She’ll have to find some other little box to put me in.  Haha!

In terms of a little life update for y’all, besides all this blathering about getting “older” nonsense, I am actually very happy with my life right now.  I know, it’s a SHOCKER!  Did any of you ever envision me actually pulling myself out of that downward spinning spiral I was locked up in?  Ya know, the one where I had rationalized life down to being pretty much pointless to me, and was literally looking for ways to get killed (without killing myself, I don’t believe suicide is right) so I could go hang out with Grandma & Grandpa in Heaven.  I still wanna do that, but I’m not looking for ways to end my life anymore because, mostly, I have the most AMAZING niece in the whole world.  I actually want to be around to watch her grow up.  I want to be a good influence in her life.  I want to continue to have an amazing relationship with my brother.  I want to have a stronger relationship with Becky.  My future is no longer dependent on whether I get married and have kids anymore.  It’s like literally, this new little life has given ME a NEW LIFE.  Well, a new perspective on life.  When I think those thoughts from last year and before, I am no longer comfortable with them.  I am no longer comfortable with just wanting to jump off a waterfall that’s too high & see what happens.  I don’t actually want to go to Heaven just yet.

Brad also makes me want to stay alive.  He has become my best friend, and now my significant other.  I was starting to think that this wasn’t possible, that I somehow had become my great-aunt Irene who I actually don’t remember ever meeting (but they all said I did) and who never married and traveled all over the world.  And she didn’t have a million cats, either.  Just postcards and trinkets, and I’m sure also tons of stories and experiences.  I most definitely didn’t see him coming, he was a co-worker that I could joke with.  Then he was my one good guy friend who I watched Survivor and The Cosby Show with.  And now we’re in love.  I actually asked for this, though.  I got tired of knowing everything about everyone I met.  I asked God to surprise me.  And he did!  It’s the most amazing thing.  It’s for sure not at all what I ever imagined….it is actually BETTER.  And here, not too long ago I was sitting around thinking that all those friends I have who say, “God’s plan is better than mine,” were all just repeating cliché phrases.  Nah, it’s actually true, in this case.  And I can’t wait to see where this relationship goes.  So far, it’s amazing.

And of course I cannot leave out my amazing friends!  I’ve become closer with a few people who are amazing bright lights in my life.  Closer with a couple new friends who at first I didn’t really trust, but who have since become absolute blessings to me.  God has always placed brilliant, amazing people in my life.  I’m just really happy that He is continuing that pattern, and that possibly I’ve earned it a little.  My hard work of nurturing my friendships is paying off.  Just like He said it would, three years ago when I made a major life change (working part-time so I could spend time with friends & family).  It’s amaaaaaziiiiiing.










No comments: